Over weight. On Warfarin. Does hcg diet harm in any way?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My husband is on warfarin, will the hcg diet harm him in any way? He is about 20 lbs or so overweight and is 76 years old. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

There is no such contraindication and no reported complications of hCG diet in patients on anticoagulant therapy. But this is relatively new diet and there is no enough studies which did these researches.

Considering his age, weight and medical history, honestly I wouldn't start with some intensive or debatable diets. He should lose weight slowly and healthy. This isn't significant adiposity. Any sudden or strict restrictions in food intake may cause bad effects. The efficiency of hCG diet isn't proved yet and I suggest to try with some other conventional diets before following this one. He can also consult his cardiologist.

Of course,whatever you decide, he must get INR (international normalised ratio)checked regularly and if some abnormalities are found, diet can always be stopped.

Wish you good health.