Over weight. Noticed twitching in legs and foot. What can be done?

Nov 2013

A little over a week ago I noticed some twitching in my left foot which was invisible. I am not a very active person but for the past 4 days I went on a trip where I walked around antique shops for about 6 hours per day with rest periods -more than I usually exercise since I have a desk job. I noticed that now I have started to have more twitches in my legs and feet which now are frequent. I have the invisible twitches and occasionally a visible twitch in my feet and legs. The twitches are in both legs and feet but vary from place to place. I don't notice them when I am on my feet walking -only when I sit down but since they are XXXXXXX primarily they could be present and I just don't know it.
I am of course concerned that this is the start of ALS-what do you think
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of muscle twitchings (fasciculations) are a feature of ALS, however, most often, these are benign fasciculations, and not due to ALS. Benign fasciculations, as in your case, are more common after strenuous physical activity or exercises, etc. These would subside on its own in a few days with rest.

In ALS, in addition to muscle twitchings, there would be wasting (thinning of muscles) and weakness.

If in doubt, an EMG study would help in excluding the diagnosis of ALS 100%.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist