Over the past few weeks sense of taste has diminished. Feel painful lump in throat. Suggest?

I am a 57 year old woman, over the past few weeks my sense of taste has diminished, I have a garlicky taste in my mouth and I can feel a none painful lump in my throat, what could this be?

Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Varnika J.P. 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.

Your symptoms point towards Gastric Acid Reflux Disease or GERD.In this condition the gastric acid and the contents reflux back into the mouth leaving a persistent taste in the mouth(Garlicky in your case),
the feeling of lump in the throat is the inability to swallow properly is called Dysphagia.The constant relfux also diminishes the capacity of taste buds.

These are the rare sypmtoms of GERD.About 25 percent of people dont have the regular symptoms and this is more common especially in people over 50.
the other uncommon symptoms include
-weight loss
-water brash

I would want to ask you if your symptoms get worse
at night or
after having food
-If you are using any medicines

The most common treatment for this is
Lifestyle modification,avoid spicy food,have regular meals and regular sleep schedule.
Have food atleast 2hrs before bedtime.
Also exercise in moderate amount helps

If the symptoms don't subside you can consult your GP and start with PPI's like pantoprazole.

other causes for your symptoms can be
1.Dry mouth
2.Poor oral hygiene
3.Usage of specific medicines
4.Fungal infections

thank you,
You can consult me for any further queries.