Over-exposed to tanning, face and scalp seem to be dry. Chances of recovery?

I was in a tanning bed for the first time in years 2 months ago. I think I was overexposed. My skin is sensitive and it was a 20 min bed I was told, I was in for 12 min. Now my face is chronically dry and my scalp. I don't know if it's dehydrated or whats wrong but it feels like it is washed in acetone everyday. Will it ever heal and rebalance and be normal again? It is also hard to sweat now and make natural oils :(
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 51 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for writing your query here.

Tanning beds emits both uv A and uv B rays. But amount emitted is not in exact control. Also some XXXXXXX beds contain more uvA than UV B. So tanning beds are never safe. And you have got a sort of photoallergic reaction. Avoid sun exposure, start applying a moisturizer at day time and mild steroid like flutivate at night time. Your skin will rebalance and will heal completely.

If you have any queries please let me know through follow up.

Follow-up: Over-exposed to tanning, face and scalp seem to be dry. Chances of recovery? 3 hours later
Thanks. I hope so. Flutivate sounds pretty scary. How long do you think I need to use this and do I need a perscription? It's side effects of skin thinning and stinging and dryness sound like what I want to avoid, but I do want to use this if it will make my skin better.
also, my scalp then is also having the same photoallergic reaction.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 28 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

If you want to avoid flutivate you can avoid it and just start with plane hydrocortisone cream,also for your scalp you can use steroid lotion like desowen. These two are much safer and you can use them safely up to 2 weeks.Apply plenty of moisturizer which will help rehydrate your skin .

For your scalp you can try baby oils and baby shampoos which are milder and will give you soothing effects.In any case do not expose yourself to sun for a few days.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.