Over eater. Suggestions? Further precautions?

ENT Specialist
Hey im a 30 yr old woman 3 kids. I have been an overeater since the the age of 18 due to stress related matters. Now it is an addiction that i do not have control over. For 4 years I ate nothing but sweets and honey nut Cheerios. For the last 5 years I have been adding other foods but still have long binges which could last for months. I believe there is no come back. Please give me issues to give doctor. Like which organs I should address. I know this is gonna catch up to me and I'm worried the damage is already done. Could I die from this abuse? I also know therapy goes hand in hand. Working on that now. Thanks in advance for replies.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Binge Eating consult psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your query.
It suggests that you are suffering from the binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating disorder.
For your kind information -According to the National Institute of Mental Health About 20% young women report that they have had binge-eating symptoms. Emotions often play a role. People with a binge eating problem may overeat when they feel stressed, upset, hurt, or angry.
Treatment for this disease are-
Antidepressant medications
Nutrition counseling

For Best treatment and clear cut diagnosis, you consult the psychiatrist.
May be there is no problem in any organ and not much harm to you.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Over eater. Suggestions? Further precautions? 4 hours later
Thanks for your response. Are you sure i should not be concerned about any organs? I have over ate for about 10 yrs. should i be concerned about my heart? I know most women binge eat but i go in extreme. Just for ex. I can eat 8 poptarts in 20 mins a 1/2 sheet of cake in 2 days. Awhole bag ofcookies in one day. I eat way past the point of me being full. And this is daily. I should jave no concerns at all??
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not be concerned...

Detailed Answer:

Binge eating as such would not cause major health problem if you have a normal body mass index. If you are over weight, you can get your cholesterol, liver function and EKG done.

According to my best of knowledge, I don't think you should have major organ problems. Don't be concerned, visit a psychiatrist and get the problem of binge eating addressed.

Hope this helps. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Follow-up: Over eater. Suggestions? Further precautions? 52 minutes later
Is losing weight while overeating better or worse than gaining weight?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon your BMI

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your query.
Losing weight while overeating is better than the gaining weight because of the most of people suffering from this disease have over weight but when person is under weight i.e. rare then vice versa.

A normal BMI will fall between numbers ranging from of 18.5 to 24.9.

According to WHO- BMI of less than 18.5 as underweight and may indicate malnutrition, an eating disorder, or other health problems, while a BMI greater than 25 is considered overweight and above 30 is considered obese.

If you again have any doubt, I will be available for your query.