Ovary and lower back pain, bloating, heavy stomach, short period. Never been pregnant. History of cyst

I am having pain around my left ovary and lower back. It has been over one week since the pain started. My period should start within the next 5 days. I thought it might be ovulation pain, but the pain is constant. It is extremely uncomfortable and at times, the pain is a stabbing pain on my left side. I feel bloated and like my stomach is heavy. My last period only lasted for 2.5 days, which is the shortest period I have ever had. I am 43 years old and have never been pregnant. I have had a cyst before but the pain associated with that only lasted a couple of days.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later
The symptoms of left lower sided pain with abdominal distention could be due to one of the following conditions:-

1. Renal calculus.

2. Ovarian cyst with or without rupture or torsion: this is a condition that can release excess of estrogen hormones in the blood resulting in fluid retention and hence abdominal distention.

3. Any pelvic infection related to the intestines or colon (Enteritis Or Colitis).

You might benefit by visiting the Emergency Room so that you can be evaluated with a panel of blood tests and a ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis OR a CT scan to diagnose the underlying condition and initiate necessary interventions for proper treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.