Ovarian cysts, on periods, have flow for a day and nothing the other. Should I be concerned?

can you help, i started my period fully on tuesday, i had a tiny bit of blood on monday but didn't count it as day one as just discharge. had it heavy on tuesday with usual clotting etc, had my period on wed.. went to bed on wed night and thought they were gone but back again on thursday and after 9 last night nothing and nothing yet. never had them for 03 days before and i am not pregnant.. is this unusual. i have 2 tiny ovarian cysts on my right ovary but got them checked in feb and they havent increased in size so still the same.. should i be concerned
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

The cause of the heavy period that you had (as you have ruled out pregnancy) could be due either to a hormonal imbalance, a delayed period (since you did not say if you have had one), infections of the lower abdomen, endometrial or cervical polyps, endometrial hyperplasia or a fibroid uterus. Ovarian cysts can cause symptoms when larger in size, and you know this better as you have already experienced.

I would advice you to see a specialist for a general exam, a pap smear, a trans-vaginal sonogram if deemed necessary for a follow up on your ovarian cysts and for any other abnormal finding. You may also need to have blood counts and a routine urinalysis.

If the bleeding recurs, you may need styptics and hormones to control the bleeding. Identification of the cause makes treatment easy and this is almost always possible; most often there is no specific cause.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.