Outgrowth near rectum, normal stools, no bleeding, constipation. diarrhea, abdominal disturbance, gas. Causes for abdominal pain ?

Gastroenterologist
Question
i m 26 years old, have an outgrowth near the rectum... stool is normal (not pencil stools).. no blood in stool.. rarely any constipation or diarrhea in the last 6 months or so... though there has been diarrhea twice... however, abdominal disturbance is there.. i have lots of gases which i feel i m not able to pass very easily... there was no pain in passing stool until recently.. at a particular area just next to the rectum.. can be due to the outgrowth causing problems in passing stool... no serious ache in the abdomen.. however, a little uneasiness once or twice cause a little pain in the lower abdomen
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 22 hours later

Your description is nice and elaborate. However a thorough physical examination / per rectal examination by a competent expert is needed for a proper diagnosis.

Nodule/ tag near the anus can be due to the following causes:

1. Prolapsing hemorrhoid /pile
2. Prolapsing mucosal tag at the end of fissure / cut in the anal region
3. Warts, a mucosal tag due to viral infection
4. Infection and pus collection near anus below skin
5. Cancer of anus.

From your history, it seems more likely to be a hemorrhoid or wart. Yet, I recommend you to consult your surgeon / gastroenterologist for per rectal examination. Treatment could be conservative (diet and lifestyle changes, laxatives, anti inflammatory medication or wart removal drugs) or surgical.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any clarifications, I will be available for follow ups.

With best regards,

Dr Vaibhav Banait
MD, DNB(Medicine), DM(Gastroenterology)

Follow-up: Outgrowth near rectum, normal stools, no bleeding, constipation. diarrhea, abdominal disturbance, gas. Causes for abdominal pain ? 4 days later
Sir,

I visited a local physician and on examination was told its a sentinel pile. However, in the last 2-3 days I had minor traces of blood in my stool. Particularly, in the morning if I go a second time for passing stool the blood traces are found. The physician also said that the bowel disturbance has nothing to do with the blood. I was asked to conduct a urine test, the reports of which are attached herewith. I am still a little apprehensive as to the bowel disturbance I m having. It feels like cramps or as if something is stretching in and around the stomach/ intestines. Is there a probability of a colorectal cancer?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 2 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for getting yourself examined.

I have gone through your urine report and it is normal.

Sentinel pile is nothing but a skin tag at the end of cut / fissure in anus. As there is cut at mucocutaneous junction, it may be painful and it may bleed. From history, the likelihood for Colon Cancer is less. Note that the colonic pathologies may have similar symptoms. But considering your age (you are young!), absence of family history of adenoma or colon cancer, the risk appears to be low.

I would suggest you to increase fiber intake, take Isapgol /similar products for couple of weeks and observe the effect on your colonic symptoms . Gastroenterology opinion and Colonoscopy if needed may also help address your concern.

I hope this explains your query.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Outgrowth near rectum, normal stools, no bleeding, constipation. diarrhea, abdominal disturbance, gas. Causes for abdominal pain ? 7 days later
Sir,

i wasnt pretty convinced by the first examination, therefore, i visited a surgeon and was told on examination that there is no blood otherwise present in the rectal area. Also, the tag has been present for months now, and so the bleeding could not definitely be attributed to the pile. Furthermore, i had doubt that the blood was not only around the stools but was mixed with it. I went for Sonography and blood tests. The sonography was fine, however, the blood tests showed a high WBC to Large Cell ratio, which in my understanding means a high neutrophil count (76%). Also, the hemoglobin concentration in RBC (MCHC) was a little low (31.7). The hemoglobin n the rest of the blood report was fine. I had another instance of iron deficiency some 4 years back. The abdominal cramps have reduced a little in the last two days. I cannot deny a high stress level, due to the present symptoms, however, can a little stress raise the WBC count to this extent?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 13 hours later
Hi again,

I understand the concern. If blood is mixed with stool, that simply means lesions are inside colon. To definitely decide the matter, Colonoscopy by an expert is advisable. It will put rest to all speculations.

Yes, a little stress also can raise the WBC count, but do not worry. It will become normal soon.

Vaibhav Banait

with best regards,
Dr Vaibhav Banait
MD, DNB(Medicine), DM(Gastroenterology)