Other cure for porcelain gall bladder instead of open surgery?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Is there any cure for porcelain gall bladder other than open surgery?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Patients with porcelain gallbladder are at increased risk for the development of gallbladder cancer. For this reason, the recommended treatment is surgery to remove the gallbladder. The type of surgery used for removal can vary based on the clinical presentation of the patient's disease.
In your case depending on your clinical condition and ultrasound findings your surgeon will grade the severity of porcelain gall bladder as Type 1_3.Both type 2&3 are treated with open surgery.
type I porcelain gallbladder is less severe and sometimes can be treated with a less invasive surgery. Often a laparoscopic cholecystecomy suffices but many a times if the gall bladder gives away and complete removal through laparoscopy isn't feasible then surgeon may decide to convert to open surgery.
So for practical purposes almost all or majority of cases are treated by open surgery, which provides the advantage of intact removal of gall bladder and decreases any chance of seeding of cancer cells in future.
So far no other procedures or no conservative treatment is recommended even in asymptomatic patients since there is a risk of gall bladder cancer if porcelain gall bladder is not removed.

Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Other cure for porcelain gall bladder instead of open surgery? 4 hours later
I was worried about that as what you have said is consistent with my understanding, but I am very worried because I have a grown daughter who is not well, and I must help her as long as I can. What kind of a diet should I be on and is there any warning prior to a rupture of the gall bladder? Also what are the odds of cancer under my situation?

Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later

You can have a normal low fat diet with certain preferences and avoidances as follows.

The diet should include:

Lean meat, skinned fish and chicken, eggs, whole grain products, skimmed milk, low fat cheese, yogurt and spreads, soups, salads (Fibrous fruits and vegetables),grilled fish and chicken, legumes, fresh fruits (without added sweetener).

Foods that need to be avoided:

Fried foods, spicy foods, baked beans, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, peanuts, pastries.

The chances of cancer depend upon the histological grading of the gallbladder which your surgeon can provide post surgery. Therefore the incidence is very variable as less as 7% to as common as 60% depending upon the type of calcification. In general about one third cases can have risk of developing gall bladder cancer.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Other cure for porcelain gall bladder instead of open surgery? 6 hours later
Hello, Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your complete answer. I just have one more question: can I eat extra virgin olive oil? Otherwise, I accept the answer with the discounts. Many thanks and good luck with your practice.

Thank you for the follow-up.

Extra virgin olive oil can be taken and may be beneficial in your case if taken in moderate amounts.
Olive oil can be used safely as 14% of total daily calories. This is about 2 tablespoons (28 grams) daily.
Anything, even good diet ,if taken excessively is bad for health. So, moderation is the key.

Hope I have answered your query.