Osteoarthritis, tibial realignment, pain in knees, negligible cartilage in right knee. Cure?

I'm Julianne, 31 yrs old and I'm 6'1, weight is 100 kg (220 lbs) I have osteoarthritis, had a tibial realignment in 2008 and was knock kneeded before that. I'm not walking due to the pain and my knees giving out. I use a walker around the house and a powerchair outside. I have been told by another doctor that building up the muscles around the knee will help with the arthritis but I have almost no cartlidge left in my right knee and the left knee is going the same way now. My question is will building the knee muscle up help if there is almost no cartlidge left in the knees. Thankyou
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

Let me provide you with some information which will hopefully be helpful to you as you work toward improving your health. As far as the knee goes, building up the muscles around the knee will certainly improve the stability even in the absence of the normal amount of cartilage that would be there otherwise.

A judicious amount of weight loss will also help you work toward gradually improving your mobility. I know that exercise is very limited if you have trouble bearing weight but there are many upper body aerobic exercises which you could employ to help improve your basal metabolic rate and caloric balance.

A combined program of diet, weight loss and exercise as well as slow and gradually increasing intensity of weight training will serve you well. You are very young and working hard on this now will help you enjoy good quality of life in the future.

I hope this answer has been helpful and adequate for you. I am available for your followups if needed.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Osteoarthritis, tibial realignment, pain in knees, negligible cartilage in right knee. Cure? 12 hours later
Hi, thankyou for your help it's most appreciated to get a second opinion.
With the weight loss (diet) and the upper body exercises, what would you advise me to take? I forgot to mention I am on Karvel for high blood pressure.
Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

I would advise you to continue the prescribed medications as advised along with Multivitamins. With a balanced and healthy diet with exercise I am confident that you will do well.

Please let me know if you have any additional queries.

Wish you a good health.