Osteoarthritis and sciatica pain with lower back pain. Taken nocro. How to manage?

I have a question regarding my osteoarthritis and sciatia the condition has progressed to a point its difficult to move after working and the lower back pain is 9 o scale of 10 been taking Mobic and Norco for a while they no long er provide satisfactory pain relief any suggestions on what I might ask my dr for
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone shots, physical therapy, braces, etc.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I can understand your concern and frustration, as pain can be really troubling. As your doctor has rightly prescribed medication [NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like mobic, acetaminophen and narcotics (both of which are present in norco)]. So I shall help you by listing a few other options available, which you could discuss with your doctor:
-Cortisone shots: This can reduce the pain, but the number of injections that can be given annually are limited
-Hyaluronic acid derivatives: Injection of these substances into the joint provide cushioning and reduce the friction and pressure, thus reducing pain
-Braces: Can reduce the pressure on your joints and provide relief from pain
-Physical therapy: Exercise regimens can strengthen your joints
-Surgery: As you have rated your pain a 9/10, I would have to include surgery (eg. joint replacement, bone alignment, etc.)

I hope these options help in relieving you of your pain. You could discuss these options with your doctor . Do write back to me for any further guidance. Wishing you nothing but the best.

Take care and god bless.