Orange mucus in stools, soft stools, stomach pain. Do I need to see a doctor?

For the last 4 months every time I go to the toilet I have orange jelly/mucus in my stools. It seems to be getting worse with the amount of orange jelly/mucus being more every time. My stools were usually hard but they are getting softer with the increasing jelly/mucus. I have also started to feel stomach pain and sick feelings. I have tried changing my diet, I always drink plenty of water, I am healthy 24 year old woman.
Do I need to see a Dr?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     24 year old female
•     Complain arange mucus in stools and increse frequency of motion

Orange mucus in stool indicate inflammation of intestine. considering your case history it can occur in several conditions in following hierarchy:
•     Amebiasis
•     Autoimmune disorder of intestine
•     Irritable bowel syndrome
•     Other Lower GI infection

For management following measures will help:
•     There is need to see doctor for examination and medicines
•     Worry less for symptoms as they appear to transient only
•     Avoid fatty and fast food for few days
•     Eat banana, curd and rice

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Orange mucus in stools, soft stools, stomach pain. Do I need to see a doctor? 34 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

I have made an appointment to see my Dr next week.

Although I am nervous, What sort of test/examination should I expect?

Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later
Hello again,

I can understand your worry. It is good that you have fixed appointment with doctor.

Nature of test depend on history and examination findings of doctor. Doctor may advice you stool examination, complete blood count and other tests depending on findings.

Wish you good health.