Ask a Dentist   »  

Orange coating appeared on tongue. Fillings and crown replacement done. How to remove this?

I developed an orange coating on my tongue five or six weeks ago -- I've had quite a bit of dental work lately, including three fillings, and a crown replacement, and I think the organge tongue problem got started around the time that the first major round of dental work got started. My dentist just shrugged when I asked about it and gave me a tongue-scraper to use. I have no idea what this is about, whether it is indicative of a larger problem, etc., and have no idea whether I am doing anything to aggravate it. Or whether I could do anything to make it go away. I have been scraping and brushing my tongue regularly for at least three weeks now, with no improvement. It is always worse in the evening.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

The orange coating appeared on the tongue may be due to many reasons-
1. Content in the fillings placed such as mercury in silver-amalgam restoration, eugenol in zinc-oxide eugenol restoration, etc.
2. Faulty instrumentation undergone while crown-cutting /cavity preparation.
3. Food allergy caused from coloured food ingested.
4. Medication .

Since the tongue is not painful there is no need to be panic. The discolouration will disappear gradually since it is not congenital.

1. Avoid intake of coloured/spicy foods.
2. Visit your dentist regarding final diagnosis of the problem and discuss about the possibility of any medications (antibiotics) or the filling material causing the discoloration.
3. Please avoid harsh tongue flossing habits since it can damage your tongue papillae and thereby the taste buds.
4. Drink plenty of fluids and keep yourself well hydrated.

The discoloration will gradually wane away. So do not be concerned.

Hope this suffices. It would be pleasure to answer further query if any.

Follow-up: Orange coating appeared on tongue. Fillings and crown replacement done. How to remove this? 21 hours later
Your response suggests that you think the problem is some kind of reaction to chemicals, but I'm pretty sure that the orange stuff is growing in my mouth. Because I can scrub and brush it away, but then it grows back over the course of most days. I have looked online and found that quite a few other people have experienced this, and they seem to think it is some kind of fungus or bacterial growth -- the flora in my mouth are out of balanced and something that is normally not present has taken over. How can I find out if this is correct, and if it is, how should I treat it?

Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

If the discoloration is recurring, then I would suggest you to get biopsy of the sample done under the guidance of an oral pathologist. Microscopic studies done on the biopsy sample will reveal the true nature and diagnosis of the lesion.

It is remotely possible to be related to fungal infection called candidiasis. I urge you to visit an oral pathologist for further assistance.

Meanwhile if you have any oral habits like tobacco/pan chewing/smoking, stop them.

Hope this helps. I will be glad to clarify and assist you further if needed.