Orange clumps passed during periods after urination. What could this be?

I had my period for four days and the following day I went pee and afterwards orange clumps came out. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

The orange clump can be due to various possibilities which include passing old menstrual blood (which when retained for a few days,turns rusty brown in colour), hormonal imbalance, endometriosis or a possible miscarriage.
Passage of old menstrual blood is normal and subsides by itself.

However, if the clots are present even after few days or are associated with painful cramps or fever, then a pelvic examination would be required as clinical evaluation only would help in giving a precise diagnosis.

I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist if the symptoms persist or recur. Till then, follow general hygiene measures and use a condom during intercourse.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.