Oral surgery to remove front tooth, was allergic to ceclor. Can start on levofloxacin safely? Dosage?

ENT Specialist
We are in Tanzania, Africa with no immediate access to a doctor. This is a mini-emergency.

My wife had oral surgery to remove a front tooth six months ago. She had a bridge put in across her front four teeth about 4 months ago. Recently, for the last three days, she has had pain in the tooth next to the teeth worked on. The pain radiates up into her sinus along side of her nose. It looks like there might be some reddening under the eye now.

We have a course of levofloxacin 500 mg on hand. (ten tablets). In the past, she has been allergic to the antibiotic called Ceclor (also called Cefaclor), which I understand is penicillin based. My basic question is if there is any strong likelihood of an allergic reaction if I start her on this levofloxacin.

My question is, can I safely start her on this levofloxacin? Please give recommended dosage and timeframe to take the drug.

My wife is 62 years old and in pretty good health. Overweight -- 230 lbs and 5 feet O inches. She is only on a cholesterol med right now, baby aspirin, a fish oil.

Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The description seems to be of the infection of the maxillary sinus following dental treatment.

Cefaclor belongs to second-generation cephalosporin antibiotic and the pharmacology of the cephalosporins is similar to that of the penicillins. Hence your wife could be allergic to any other pencillin or cephalosporin group of drugs.

The next best option to treat this condition is fluroquinolones. Levofloxacin being one of the newer-generation fluoroquinolones helps in treating acute bacterial sinusitis. Usually the treatment is for 7-10 days depending on the severity of the infection.

Those allergic to penicillin can safely use fluroquinolone antibiotics. She can take anti-inflammatory medicines (such as paracetamol or diclofenac) for the relief of pain. Other home remedies such as consuming plenty of warm water and steam inhalation can reduce the sinus problem.

I am sorry! Under the guidelines of e-health, we are not supposed to prescribe any medications or its dosage online.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon