Oral sex with sex worker, protected sex, tests for HIV, contraction of HIV possible ?

Need to check on HIV etx
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

I am sorry; your query seems to be incomplete.

Please mention what exactly on HIV are you looking for.

If you meant that you are looking for a way to diagnose HIV then the following is the answer to it.

HIV diagnosis is confirmed by blood tests. The routinely used tests of HIV diagnosis are

1. HIV ELISA test - This being the widely used test for diagnosing the condition.
2. Rapid HIV antibody test
3. HIV p24 antigen test
4. HIV RNA PCR test

CD counts (CD4 and CD8 counts) are done after confirming HIV. The counts along with few other tests are used to help doctors define the type of treatment needed.

Write back to us, if you were looking for any other information on HIV.

Awaiting your reply.

Best Regards.
Follow-up: Oral sex with sex worker, protected sex, tests for HIV, contraction of HIV possible ? 29 hours later
Sorry ...
My query is ...
I have visited a sex worker on 3rd April , the exposure is almost a 8 days back.
I had SAFE sexs that mean , I used Double condoms while having vagina intercourse ...There was no break of condom as well...
But before the vagina sexs .. .I had oral sexs ... she sucked my penis but it was without condom but I did not ejaculate in her mouth..

I am worried as somewhere in the internet I read orals sex is also not SAFE ...

I was worried .. as such got my HIV 1 -2 test done on 4th april which came as negative but I was not still worry free so I gotActualy my second test is Hiv 1&2 and P24 combo test done on 9th and report is also negative ...

Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Hi Roopesh,

Thanks for following up with your actual query.

It is true that any body fluid exposure can cause HIV. But the chance of HIV infection varies with exposure of different body fluids.

In this manner, exposure to saliva has the least chances of HIV infection.

If your worry is mainly, HIV infection following oral intercourse, then you need not be worried. The chance of HIV infection by this route is very remote. I would say as close to impossible. I haven't seen or heard of some one got infected by this route yet.

This doesn't mean that you can continue with such risky behaviors, as you may not be lucky the next time.

As far as the diagnostic tests goes, HIV 1 and 2 and P24 combo test is much more reliable than single tests. The maximum reliability of the test is offcourse when it is done at 2 weeks or more. The standard diagnosing guidelines suggest a repeat test after 3 months. This is recommended by doctor if there is a high degree of suspicions or if they are hyper conservative. I would take the combo test reports on the 9th day. You may choose to take at the end of 3 months, if you wish to follow the standard HIV diagnosing guidelines.

The bottom line is that "the chance that you are infected is very, very remote. You need not worry. Avoid risky behaviors in the future."

Hope I have helped to fee you from worries.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Oral sex with sex worker, protected sex, tests for HIV, contraction of HIV possible ? 40 hours later
Thanks Doctor for explanation .. I am happy that I am at no RISK ...
Also I will not get into this stupidity next time anymore ...I will comit loyality to my wife.. ..
As u mentioned that I need to get the checks again after 2 weeks as they are more confirmative .. I will get them again .. I want to ask if I get negative results on this test as well ... Can I be 100% relieved in my case ( as its just the oral exposure).. or should I again do the test after 3 months ...

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Hi again,

I would consider yourself safe for about 98% if the P24 combo test is negative, also do recommend to get a retest after 3 months .This schedule can be considered reasonable as in some cases the multiplication of the virus takes after some time after exposure resulting into attainment of the optimal count detected by test to be present after one or two months.

Wish you Good health.