Oral sex with partner infected with genital herpes. Taking penicillin for root canal. Need your thoughts.

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
This guy lied to me and told me that he was ddfree. We did not have intercourse, but both oral sex. I'm taking penicillin vk 500 from my dentist for a root canal I got last week. I've been on the meds for about 7 days now. The guy just told me that he has genital herpes. He went down on me, and I did the same thing. He said that is does not have any current breakouts. I'm really freaking out about all of this. And I wanted to ask a professional asap. I still have more penicillin left and I plan on finishing them up and then making an appointment to get test. I need your thoughts and advice DOC.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

I am sorry to learn about the incidence, but if he is suffering from genital herpes there are chances that you may get infected

Genital herpes is cause by a virus
Both strains HSV-1 and HSV-2 can spread the infection from one patient to another healthy individual during sexual contacts

HSV-1 can spread from oral sex
HSV-2 from secretions of mouth of genital secretions

Unfortunately Herpes virus can spread even when the patient does not have a sore or a blister, there have been instance noted where the patient never new he was suffering from Herpes and he has transmitted the virus

I would strongly recommend you see your doctor and get some prophylactic[Preventive] antivirals prescribed,

Penicillin will help only if there is a sore or a blister that is infected

The chances of transmitting the virus reduces if the partner is already on antiviral medicines

Hope I have replied to your satisfaction, if you do not have any further queries do accept my reply

Finally a word of advise : Do not panic and never go for unprotected sex

Get Well Soon