Oral sex with cold sore on lips. Can it cause genital herpes?

I am a man and had a women with a cold sore on the lower lip perform oral on sex on me. I wasnt aware that it could cause genital herpes. Its been 3 days now. Is it guaranteed that im going to catch it ? Also i had cold sores as a child , am i immune to catching it in this case ? Is there any test i can pass now that will answer my question. Most important is that i know if its Guaranteed that people catch it automatically when they are in contact with the sore
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 28 minutes later
I went through your history. Herpes virus infection can spread to others starting fro one to two days before vesicular stage to till the last vesicles healed.
So as per your history you had risk of exposure. But the chances of infection is not 100 % and you may escape also.
If you are infected it should manifest on the genitalia in ten days.
You may undergo tzanck test from vesicle if you have one
Or igg and igm tests against hsv type 2 will clinch the diagnosis even if you don't have vesicles
I hope your questions are addreessed
Have a good day
Follow-up: Oral sex with cold sore on lips. Can it cause genital herpes? 59 minutes later
What about the fact that i had cold sores in my life , wich means i had HvS -1 . Am i not immune to the same virus ? I read about this on various medical sites . Can you confirm ?
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 24 hours later
As far as I am concerned hiv1 can not protect against hiv2.
If you undergo immunological tests this will be evident
On the contrary hiv1 also may manifest on the genitalia and can't be differentiated from hivr. Both can present with similar symptoms
Have a nice day