Oral sex, protected intercourse, contracted gonorrhea. Risk of HIV?

Dermatologist
Question
hi i got gonorreh from a female prostitutte in mexico by oral sex for 20 min unprotected, and had intercuorse (penis vagina) like for 2 min with a condom i dont know if it broke my fear is the risk of having hiv. im male 29 years 5,7 162 lbs
thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 8 days later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query.

I can understand your health concern & fear of HIV. But you need to need know that Sex with every person does not cause HIV, even in case of sex workers, she has to be infected before she can pass it on to you.

Now even if one has sex with a infected person, the chances of contracting HIV infection would be as follows.
A. Female-to-male transmission is 0.04% per act and ‎
B. Male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act. ‎
C. The rate for receptive anal intercourse is much higher, 1.7% per act

Sexual intercourse with sex-workers does increase the risk of HIV infection. But the fact that you had a protected sex ,reduces the risk further more. But to allay your fear of infection you can get the relevant test done from a good lab.

The earliest test - that can be taken to detect HIV infection is the PCR proviral DNA test. This test can detect the HIV ‎DNA within 15-21 days of the infection.‎ I would recommend you to do the test after 3 weeks post exposure, to avoid retesting.

The sensitivity of the test is 100% and is very accurate test.

The alternative would be a HIV combo test (HIV antibody + P24 antigen assay) after 4 -6 weeks after ‎exposure might be very useful.

The best time to do a ELISA test for HIV antibodies is after 4 weeks of exposure. 90% of normal ‎individuals who have HIV exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA test ‎is 99.9%. ‎

If a test once done after 12 weeks of exposure - is NEGATIVE, the chances of developing antibodies to ‎HIV at a later date will be negligible. Hence there is no need to repeat the test again. ‎

In case you are still anxious and want to be double sure about your status, you can go ahead and get tested.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.Should you have any additional concern regarding the issue ,I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: Oral sex, protected intercourse, contracted gonorrhea. Risk of HIV? 26 minutes later
what about the gonorrea in her throat does that infection carry hiv, she told she tested negative post exposure so whats the risk that she had acute hiv infection and if so si transmited to me via throat gonorrea, her analisis showed she had a proteus vulgaris in her throat, also i had a minor fever last night with cold feet and lost like 4 lbs since exposure. i had an elisa test(negative) 33 days after in mexico they dont know what generation is.
Hope to hear from you
thanks

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 13 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for writing back.

Gonorrhea and HIV are two different entities .If one has gonorrhea ,that doesn't mean that she has HIV also . And gonorrhea doesn't help in transmitting HIV virus.

But ,having any of the sexually transmitted diseases (STD) can increase a person's risk of becoming infected with HIV, whether the STD causes open sores or breaks in the skin or does not cause breaks in the skin .

If any of the STD infection causes irritation of the skin, breaks or sores in the skin then it becomes easier for HIV to enter the body during sexual contact.

If an HIV-infected person is also infected with another STD, that person is 3 to 5 times more likely than other HIV-infected persons to transmit HIV through sexual contact.

But, we actually don't know the HIV status of the prostitute or does she have any symptoms.

Since you are having fever and weight loss ,I would suggest that you get the relevant test done so as to get relief from all the anxiety .

Its good that your first ELISA has come negative ,but you need to get a repeat test done at 3rd & 6th month after exposure to be doubly sure .This is done because the incubation period of HIV is long .But the combo test as discussed earlier is the earliest to show a positive result.

As far as oral sex is concerned ,it is possible for either partner to become infected with HIV through performing or receiving oral sex, though it is a less common mode of transmission than other sexual behaviors (anal and vaginal sex).

There have been few cases of HIV transmission from performing oral sex on a person infected with HIV. While no one knows exactly what the degree of risk is, evidence suggests that the risk is less than that of unprotected anal or vaginal sex.

So in the last I would say is that you get properly investigated to allay all your anxiety and fear.

I hope my response to your question is both useful and informative .If you have any additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Dr.Bharat chawda