Oral sex, fever, swollen throat, swollen lymph node. Is this an early symptom of HIV infection?

Dermatologist
Question
I had oral sex with a man of unknown HIV status on 27th December 2011, I gave him a handjob with durex lubricant he ejaculated and I caressed his fresh semen for less than a minute after that I have realized I have hangnail on my thump it was not bleeding it was too small but I could see red skin there inside I don’t know when it was happened It was sling when I went to wash my hand I would like to know if I am at risk of HIV infection.
I have little fever slightly since Sunday 15th January 2012 and swollen throat but I can swallow normally and it doesn’t sore neither cough nor runny nose.
Yesterday I had slightly swollen lymph nodes under my left ear but it feels better today and today when I woke I think under my left armpit slightly but I dont know if what I am saying is right about my armpit… is this early symptoms of HIV infection ?? i need an answer for a consultant please
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 20 hours later
Hello.

The question is whether you have acute HIV infection or not?

It is difficult to predict the answer. Fever, fatigue, sore throat, myalgia and weight loss are the symptoms which could occur within two weeks after exposure.

You seem to have mild fever, sore throat and palpable lymph node. It could also be due to incidental upper respiratory infection, and not due to HIV.

I is good to evaluate yourself with tests like p24 antigen test which can detect HIV in early infection stage, under your physician's guidance.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Oral sex, fever, swollen throat, swollen lymph node. Is this an early symptom of HIV infection? 1 hour later
Due this oral activity is there any chances to get infected with HIV
And will HIV virus transmit through the hangnail I had

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 59 minutes later
There is a chance through oral contact.

Chances are much less through hang nail unless there is a trauma during sex which is not there in your case.

Prasad PVS

Follow-up: Oral sex, fever, swollen throat, swollen lymph node. Is this an early symptom of HIV infection? 3 hours later
The oral sex I have done was XXXXXXX kissing and sucking
No semen swallow from both side we were aware about it
So what chances could be there in such case of contact
Can get the answer about this matter

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 18 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
Although the chances of transmission of HIV are lesser through oral sex than with vaginal or anal sex, the risk does definitely exist. Several important sexually transmitted diseases can also be transmitted through this route. HIV can be transmitted even through micro trauma and need not only be through semen. Even prostatic secretions may be responsible for transmission.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Prasad pvs