Ask a Dentist   »  

Oral cancer screening showed areas of concern. How concerned should I be that it is cancer?

Dermatologist
Question
My wife went to the dentist and they did an oral cancer screening. They found two areas of "concern" on the roof of her mouth near the back - two red bumps. How concernced should she be its cancer? The dentist didn't biopsy today but said he wants to see her again in about two weeks. The dentist seems to think maybe it was some sort of trauma to the roof of the mouth. She has no other symptoms. 33 yr old female - quit smoking 11 years ago.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 5 hours later
Hello
Welcome
I would be pleased to answer your question .
You can give me answers to the following questions so I can help you further with your management.
Are the bumps painful ?
Are the bumps white or red in color?
Did the Doctor mention any growth in the area or fibrosis?
Does she have an difficulty opening or closing the mouth?
Does she have any lymph gland enlargements?
If Yes , are the lymph glands painful?

Thanks .

Follow-up: Oral cancer screening showed areas of concern. How concerned should I be that it is cancer? 7 minutes later
Are the bumps painful ? no
Are the bumps white or red in color? Red
Did the Doctor mention any growth in the area or fibrosis? No
Does she have an difficulty opening or closing the mouth? No
Does she have any lymph gland enlargements? No
If Yes , are the lymph glands painful? n/a

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 9 minutes later
Thanks for reply .

From this basic history , the chance of Cancer seems negligible . A thorough clinical examination should be done:

The causes of the bumps could be :
trauma
cyst
apthae ( ulcers )
Glandular cysts

The likelihood of Cancer can be rule out by a dental biopsy , if clinically warranted .

Thanks