Oral and vaginal sex with escort, used condoms, escort did not take drugs. Chances of contracting STD ?

Dermatologist
Question
I stupidly had sex oral and vaginal with an escort woman 35,didnt not seem to be drug user and claimed to be very carefull with her health.we used a condom for both. We also kissed now i feel terrible i have threw my life awayin what was a sordid one of encounter never to be repeated
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 15 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

I can understand your situation and the regret you are going through.

Even though you haven't mentioned any specific question ,but I can make out
your health concern & fear of HIV & other STD's (sexually transmitted disease).

But you need to need know that Sex with every person does not cause HIV, even in case of sex workers/escort, she has to be infected before she can pass it on to you.

Now even if one has sex with a infected person, the chances of contracting HIV infection would be as follows.
A. Female-to-male transmission is 0.04% per act and ‎
B. Male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act. ‎
C. The rate for receptive anal intercourse is much higher, 1.7% per act

Sexual intercourse with sex-workers/escort does increase the risk of HIV infection.But the fact that you had a protected sex ,reduces the risk further more.

But to allay your fear of infection you can get the relevant test done from a good lab.
The earliest test - that can be taken to detect HIV infection is the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) proviral DNA test. This test can detect the HIV ‎DNA within 15-21 days of the infection.‎
Other tests which are usually done are ELISA & WESTERN BLOT tests.

The alternative would be a HIV combo test (HIV antibody + P24 antigen assay) after 4 -6 weeks after ‎exposure might be very useful.

As far as other STD's are concerned you need to look for the specific symptoms.
I'll briefly mention some of the presenting complaints which you should look for in your body.They are as follows:
1) any ulcer over penis-painful or painless
2) chronic fever
3) swelling of lymph nodes esp over groins.
4) water filled vesicles over penis(Herpes)
5) any warty lesion over genitalia(warts).
6) any small umbilicated growth( molluscum contagiosum)
7) any discharge per urethra or burning sensation while urinating.
8) cough or oral ulcers
9) weight loss
10) headache & fatigue
11) nausea ,vomiting & diarrhea which is chronic .

It is important to understand that symptoms of HIV are same as that of any flu or any other infection .So if you have any of these symptoms then please seek medical evaluation by a specialist.

So in the last I would say that you to XXXXXXX a specialist and get investigated properly so as to allay all your anxiety and fear.

I hope my response to your question is both useful and informative .If you have any additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda