Optic atrophy, uveitis. Curable?

Hi, my name is XXXXXXX My mother has suffered Optic Atrophy, it caused from Uveitis. Her condition has been over 10 years. I just wonder is there any effective treatment for this disease? Can it been cured?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later

Thanks for referring your mother's problem to me.

The reason of optic atrophy in such cases is more likely to be due to Diabetes. As effects of diabetes on nerves are well known in the form of Diabetic Neuropathy. What we have to look for at the moment is any sign of activity of uveitis. Signs of activity are indicated by redness, pain and blurring of vision. In such a situation the treatment is for the uveitis. In case the uveitis is inactive, the treatment is aimed at optic atrophy only. That includes control of diabetes (HbA1C less than 7% or less than 120mg/dl on home monitoring) and B complex vitamins, which hopefully your treating physician would already be continuing.

If you have any more information available about my opinion or a different one from the Ophthalmologist, please get back to me.