Operation for stepdectomy, not to lift weights, gym and exercise to be stopped ?

Hi, I have been operated for stepdectomy last XXXXXXX 2010.
My docotor has adviced my not do to any weight lifting for lifetime. I have quit all my sports and gym till date.
Should i stop all these for my entire life ? I am a body builder.
Please advice whether i can start my gyming.
If yes, wat is the maximum weight i can lift. Please help me. Thanks
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

Stapedectomy is a surgical procedure of the middle ear performed to improve hearing, by removing the stapes bone and replacing it with a micro prosthesis.

After this procedure, limitations on your activity level are extremely important to allow proper healing. Usually for normal physical activities involving moderate exertion, a time period of 3 weeks is suggested before any exertion. This means no running, weightlifting, flying, swimming, or other activities for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, routine physical activities and exercise can be resumed.

But such restrictions vary from patient to patient depending on the severity of the underlying condition for which the procedure was done in the first place.

Activities like body building - involve severe increase of the pressures in the middle ear, and can result in displacement or rupture of the microprosthesis in place in the ear. Hence your treating doctor might have advised against performing such activities (lifting heavy weights).

The possibility of resuming your activities depend on whether the prosthesis is fixed properly, and is in no danger of displacement. In case, there are no issues with the prosthesis, you might be able to resume your physical workouts, with exception of lifting very heavy weights.

You might consult your ENT doctor for a examination of your ear, and a proper advice on future course of action.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries .