Operated twice for the fractured arm. Diagnosed with tennis elbow and golfers elbow. Worrisome

I fractured my arm when I was thirteen in Mexico. The two follow up doctors at the time had to rebreak the arm and position it becuase it was positioned wrong. Now, everytime it rains or get cold, (october thru march late April ) I get this hurt that can only be described as a Bone pain. I have to constantly rub it with XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ( which stinks ) or apply pressure to the arm almost to to the point where it hurts more to help ease the pain some. I have been diagnosed with with both tennis elbow and golfers elbow. I have taken celebra, Ibuprofen 800 mg, advil and other OTC meds but the only thing that has brought me relief was a cortisone shot, however in the past 4 years, i have gotten 4 shots. My doctor is now reluctant to give me another one. Therapy is out of the question. Even tho my insurance pays for half, I cannot afford to go to numerous sessions.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later

Welcome to healthcare magic!
Your problem is very crook because the xray in this situation reflect a normal bone.
I have seen many patients of fractures in old past and now suffering the pain like yours when it is cold and cloudy- although they do not go out in rains.
That's difficult to explain but occurs.
One treatment that is simple and almost always brings full relief is Hot Water Bottle compress in those rainy-painy days.
Say 3-4 days hot compresses thrice a day at most aching sites are sufficient.
Additionally take Tab Ultracet OTC SOS for excessive discomfort.
It is much soothing than the drugs you have mentioned.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Operated twice for the fractured arm. Diagnosed with tennis elbow and golfers elbow. Worrisome 1 hour later
I can't always carry a hot water bottle with me at work or during my errands. I do get those heat patches at times but they state not to apply directly to skin. When it begins to hurt, usually late October, most doctors when I ask for something stronger like ultracet with aspirin or vicodin, I get denied. They believe I dont necessarily need it and I should tough it out. Right now I am fine, but when it hurts its hurts much. Are you able to write prescriptions?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physicians!

I have full trust in you that you are having pain that needs to be treated and you point is acceptable that you are not supposed to carry a bottle while on errands.
World over there is a rule- medical prescription are invalid/not to be written unless the patient is physically examined and investigated if needed.
What you can do is, take a print out of your problem and my answer and approach your GP. Any sensible person would understand your problem and give you a prescription with Ultracet to be taken SOS.

I think the advise would be helpful for you.

If you still have queries if any, please feel free to communicate back.

And if satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to post your view in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Operated twice for the fractured arm. Diagnosed with tennis elbow and golfers elbow. Worrisome 17 hours later
What is wrong with taking too much cortisone shots? What are the side effects, can it it really be detrimental to my health?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Welcome back,
The problems with cortisone are many.
In your case it would cause osteopenia and osteoporosis which make your bones weaker and affect optimum healing.
So frankly speaking you will get relief at the cost of health of your bones.
Other effects of steroids are impaired immunity, deranged sugar and fat metabolism, weight gain, hypertension, drug induced diabetes, mood disorder like- depression and other steroid psychosis on long term use and they are only a few to be named in steroid side effects.
They are detrimental to your health for sure.
I hope that answers your query.