Operated for kidney stones, test showed cocaine in urine which I do not use. Reason?

I had a positive Cocaine in urine. I do not use ,I am 50yr Male who has had been having kidney stones.I have been on various Rx's to include being in ER a few times to be given pain meds to control pain ASAP. I have had the operation sine urine was taken. This is a problem since I will lose my job if I cannot prove it's a flase positive.
I have had operation for kidney stones. I had a positive urine for cocaine even thou I DO NOT USE> I need answer for this. been on many different pain meds over past 3 months for the stones . In and out of ER's prior to operation.I'm looking at loss of job due to this. I am 50 yr male not a kid.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 10 hours later

Thank you for you query.

Dear sir,

There can be two situations: either your report is falsely positive or you have been given some opioid-based medications as pain-killers. I advise you to go to your concerned doctor who has operated you. He can issue you the list of medications you were on and discuss the possibility of passing it in urine. Other thing that is important is your states local drug policy and recommendations about your prescribed drugs. If any of them is prohibited then it would be difficult to justify.

It is very important for your treating doctor to agree and provide you with all the details.
I advise you to take all your medical records and drug prescription and discuss this issue with your treating doctor. May be a repeat test will be ordered after the effect of prescribed medicines is over. A practitioner trained in toxicology will be of great help if you consult him along with your treating doctor.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any query feel free to ask.

Dr Shruti.