Operated for intestine obstruction. Pain in lower abdomen. Diagnosed as intestinal TB. How could it reoccur again?

hi I am Trilok Aged 37, here from Mumbai India. I had operated for intestine obstruction in Sep-2004, and diagnoses as TB, I had completed TB medicine for 10 months. Now again pain started in lower abdomen. I see a specialist doctor and they prescribed some test after all report, I am again diagnoses for intestinal TB. My concern how the TB repeated and this has any bad effects for my health in long term,
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Test reports are not diagnostic of tuberculosis

Detailed Answer:

* Firstly, none of the diagnostic tests suggest re-activation of intestinal tuberculosis. I presume that Blood was taken for ADA. A mere, marginal increase in ESR is non-specific and can occur in numerous other conditions.

* Further, intestinal tuberculosis leads to some degree of intestinal narrowing (if at all). This may result in occasional constipation or abdominal pain. Occurrence of either of these complaints does NOT mean that you have a fresh occurrence of tuberculosis!

* I wish you had given as much details as possible (such as, constipation / diarrhea; itching in the anus; passage of mucus or/and blood in stools; loss of appetite/weight; low grade fever; weight loss; burning in urine or frequent passage of urine; pus/blood in urine) regarding your present lower abdominal pain. The additional information would have helped me in pinpointing the EXACT cause of pain.

* The commonest causes of pain in lower abdominal pain are :- worm infestation, amoebic/giardia infection, urinary tract (particularly urinary bladder infection).

* I therefore strongly suggest that you take a deworming course (such as, Albendazole 400mg daily for 3 days) ; if you have mucus-stained loose stools, you may take tinidazole 1000mg twice daily for 5 days.

* Lastly, if you feel like sending all the required details as highlighted above, I will be happy to assist you further.

Best wishes,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal