Ask a Urologist   »  

Open sore on the penis after masturbation, painful. Is this herpes?

Question
I have an open sore/lesion/graze on the shaft of my penis. It was not there last night and is there this morning. Last night I did masturbate quite hard but I am very worried this is herpes. I haven't had unprotected sex for a while but have done in the last six months. I'm wondering whether this is an abrasion from masturbation or is it possible that a herpes blister formed and burst over night it (i do not have herpes as far as i know). It is about the quarter of the size of my little finger nail and on the skin of the shaft of my penis. It is not painful unless touched and does resemble a smaller version of a graze to skin but does also resemble a burst herpes blister although it does not seem to be pussy. I may have caught my nail on the skin whilst masturbating but as it resembles a herpes lesion i am worried even though there was no sign of blister or any other history of herpes.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 3 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Genital Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease, which starts with the sensation of pain and itching, and after few days small red bumps/white blisters appear. Pain is an important symptom of Herpes, but you are feeling it only on touching, and you have not had unprotected sex also for many months, thus it seems to be due to trauma caused by hard masturbation only.

Though, as per details provided by you, chances of syphilitic infection are not present, still to rule out, you should get V.D.R.L. test done.

You should apply ointment like Soframycin/Ensamycin twice daily, if it is due to trauma, it will heal, but if it doesn't heal within couple of days, please consult an Skin specialist as soon as possible.

Hope, you will be satisfied with the answer. If you have further query, please feel free to ask. If you don't require further clarification, please accept the answer, and rate it as per your satisfaction.

With good wishes,