Oozing from the belly button area, red and inflammed, diarrhea and pain. Whats the reason, advise?

I have recently had slight oozing or discharge from my belly button area...a little red and inflamed but not painful just strange for me.
I am 55 very hygenic haven't changed my diet or use unusual products while bathing but there is an irritaion there.
any thoughts? I also seem to have alot of diareeha and XXXXXXX aches lately XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 minutes later
There can be several causes of discharge from the belly button (or umbilicus). Some of these should be medically evaluated. 
 The most common cause of drainage from the umbilicus is an infection of the skin in that area. Like any skin surface the skin of the umbilicus can become infected. In fact, it may be more likely to become infected because it is moist and a good environment for the growth of bacteria or fungi. If there is swelling, pain, or redness than an infection is even more likely. Your doctor may prescribe topical antibacterial or antifungal creams or may even suggest oral medications.

Occasionally a small cyst or duct that extends into the stomach wall from the belly button may be present. This is called a urachal remnant and is a left-over from fetal life. It can at times causes drainage and may need surgical removal however this a very rare condition.
As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. 
Your diarrhea and tummy ache may be because of viral or bacterial infection but doesn't have any connection with belly button discharge.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck.