Onset of puberty age, do androgens play a role in development of GnRH pulse generator?

Question
Hi. During onset of puberty age, do androgens play a role in development of gnrh pulse generator....or is its only role negative feedback?

I ask because i underwent short course of anabolic steroids during this phase of my life.

Thanks,
XXXXX
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, GNRH development is not affected by androgens.

Detailed Answer:
Good Day!

GnRh development is not affected by testosterone or exogenous anabolic steroids. That being said as you may already know testosterone will inhibit the release of GnRh as a negative feedback mechanism. Usually and more often than not, levels of GnRh will go back to normal after stopping exogenous testosterone/steroids use without any permanent damage/consequence.

You may be suffering from hypogonadism (low testosterone) if you feel weak, depressed, you feel that your testes is small than what it should be, secondary male characteristics did not develop (little or no pubic hair, high pitched voice, small penis etc). If you feel you have the above mentioned symptoms i would suggest seeing a urologist or an endocrinologist to have hormonal testing done.

Best of Luck.

Follow-up: Onset of puberty age, do androgens play a role in development of GnRH pulse generator? 3 hours later
I see. Thank you for the insight.

How about inducing puberty in some 'late' boys with short testosterone therapy. Usually sexual development is seen as a direct effect of therapy. So are you saying the medication doesn't also develop 'central puberty' at the hypothalamic-pituitary level in these boys?

Thank s and best regards.

Brief Answer:
No, testosterone doesn't develop central puberty.

Detailed Answer:

Testosterone therapy can induce precocious puberty but not usually on short term therapy. Androgen therapy will not trigger the central level to produce GNRH to produce more testosterone but will be the opposite due to the negative feedback mechanism. So my answer is No, testosterone doesn't develop central puberty at the central level.

Thank You.

Follow-up: Onset of puberty age, do androgens play a role in development of GnRH pulse generator? 35 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for answer.

One final query if i may.

Studies show pulse frequency (gnrh/LH) doubles from mid-childhood to onset of puberty.

Can short testosterone therapy taken have a 'programming effect' on future development of Gnrh pulse generator and gonatrope cells AFTER the negative feedback mechanism subsides?

Wishing you the best of health.

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No there will be no long term effect on Gnrh.

Detailed Answer:
I believe there will be no programming effect or will alter the balance of Gnrh after a short term androgen use during puberty. The body will find its homeostasis after the negative feedback subsides and testosterone has a very short half-life (2-4 hours). So testosterone will be cleared by the body very fast and Gnrh will then regulate the release of testosterone.

I hope I have answered your question. Thank You and good day.

Yours truly,

Manuel See IV, MD DPBU