One side of stomach feeling harder. Is it possible under normal conditions?

Is it possible under normal conditions for the left side of the stomach to feel harder or firmer than the right side?

Thank you

Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 34 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I suppose you should be talking about the abdomen, for its difficult to palpate the stomach fro outside. If that s the case, it is not normal.
It must be excluded first that should just be a subjective feeling. If this is confirmed however by your physician, the particular cause of the hardening, or probably an increase in the size of an intrabdominal organ must be determined.
An abdominal ultrasound is sufficient to confirm this hardening or change in architecture or intra abdominal contents and also precise the involve organ.
Thanks and best regards
feel free asking further questions if need be,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: One side of stomach feeling harder. Is it possible under normal conditions? 21 minutes later
Left side of my stomach has been firmer than the right for many years. I did have a doctor say not to worry about it if it's not botheriing me. Would you agree with that?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the question,
I would agree with that one two conditions:
1. That a physical examination has been done and no clinically palpable mass noticed
2. At least, an abdominal ultrasound, or times a CT scan has been done and it has come back to be normal.
If not, I am afraid to take such asymmetry of abdominal consistency for granted.
Thanks and hope that helps. Will be honored answering further questions if need be.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD/