One hip replacement done. Scheduled for other hip replacement. What exercise should I do?

What exercise could I do with one hip replacement already done, and the other one having the same symptoms(date for surgery is Oct.2)
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Exercise
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

As you are due for hip replacement in October, the whole aim should be keep your muscles around the hip joint strong and mobile. With pain, if any, this can be a challenge. However by gradually building on the range of movements the purpose can be achieved.

The simple exercise that you can do are:
1. while lying on your back:
a) lift your leg straight at the hip joint without bending at the knee.
b) rotate the leg both clockwise and anti-clockwise at the hip
2. while lying on your stomach:
a) lift the leg straight at the hip joint without bending at the knee.
b) lift your chest and pelvis together off the couch so that your spine is curved backwards - this is to strengthen your spinal muscles.
Start these exercises gradually and increase the range of movement with passage of time and later try to do them against resistance. However, do not over exert and do not cross your limits.

I wish I could share some diagrams over this platform so that the exercises are understood.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to rever back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal