One half of shoulder and neck in larger then other. Is this normal?

Question
Hello, I was wondering if it was normal for my Right side, shoulder neck to be a bit larger then my left? I notice when I do certain things that my right shoulder has larger everyrhing. I am right handed and carry my children and now baby on that side as well. This doesn't mean I have some d tumor that is causing the difference in size?! I am very healthy recent routine hemoglobin was 14.5.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Before taking a keen look at your worry, it would be interesting to make a few clarifications.

For how long have you noticed this difference?
Has anybody ever made the remark?
Do you experience any generalized weakness to one side of the body?

The first step shall be to have an objective and critical physical examination done by your family physician. This shall give an objective idea of the differences that exist, if they do, and actually characterize them. The body normally at the level of certain structures might have slight differences in size, but it becomes a point to investigate if the difference is so big.

This shall guide then further evaluations and examinations like X rays, CT scans and some lack work, if really needed.

The first step is consulting with your family care physician and getting his opinion.

Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.
Dr Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: One half of shoulder and neck in larger then other. Is this normal? 3 hours later
I just had a physical, no one has ever commented. No pain at all. Never have mentioned it. Not that significant. Just curious if it was normal?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I think you need to get a consultation with this as main presenting complaint to your doctor. If it comes out to be the case, and you have lived with it for a long time with no associated problem detected, it shall be ok.
However, if this actually there is an actual difference, any associated abnormalities shall be sought. Some of its complications might be chronic, silent to reveal themselves may be at a later stage.
I still think it’s an issue of making an objective diagnosis and ensuring integrity of the body structures. It is not normal to actually have two sides of the body with marked characteristic differences in size.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: One half of shoulder and neck in larger then other. Is this normal? 1 hour later
I've been reading that it is very common for dominate sided muscles to be larger on one side then another ? You don't agree?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

As I said, it’s but normal for the two sides of the body to differ. But it becomes a bit disturbing when the difference becomes significantly too big. The more one side of the body is used, the greater in increases in size, this is a simple reaction or adaptation mechanism of the body. The issue is actually when the difference is too big.

I totally agree with you on the fact the two sides could differ. Hope this is clearer as I wish you the best.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.