One eye noticeably different from other, hearing in one ear less than the other. Could sinus be causing this?

Nov 2013

I recently had a ct to rule out any brain abnormalities. I was having problems staying alert, and was either passing out or falling asleep. Nothing was found except for bilateral maxillary sinus disease. I have frequent sinusitis, and problems with my tubes. My question is about one of my eyes and one ear. I have had a virus in the left eye off and on for several years, and it is very painful. My eye is noticeably different from the right one. it does not seem to open as widely. Not droopy, but just slightly more closed. My hearing in my left ear is not as good as that in my right ear. Could this be caused from my sinuses?

I did a sleep study, and am told that I have a slight case of apnea. I am using a CPAP, but I see no help there. My doctor has prescribed Proventil, and it is working fairly well. I am 67, still working and in good health otherwise. I still remember my name and have only lost my car once, so I guess I am doing well
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query, and providing adequate details regarding your case.

Normal CT scan of the brain is a good news, as it excludes any significant brain problem.

Regarding your eye symptoms, there is no need to worry. Slight asymmetry in eye size is normal, and as of now, no specific treatment is necessary for that.

Regarding hearing problem, it is not related to the maxillary sinusitis discovered on CT. So, you should undergo a hearing evaluation and audiometry under the guidance of an ENT surgeon.

Your sleepiness is probably related to sleep apnea. You may need to adjust the CPAP settings for optimizing the benefits.

I would be pleased to answer any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: One eye noticeably different from other, hearing in one ear less than the other. Could sinus be causing this? 17 hours later
Thanks for your answer. However, the asymmetry is a fairly recent thing, and only presented after the eye infections began in earnest.

Do you have any ideas why this virus in my eye never quite goes away. It has been going on for several years, and can be quite painful. Do you know of any treatment except for the same drops I keep getting over and over, which only keep things at bay for a short time?

At what point are more than antibiotics indicated for the sinus condition? This chronic problem has been going on for at least ten years.

I understand it is impossible to diagnose someone over the internet, but I would like enough knowledge to be competent to ask the right questions when I finally am able to find and see the right physician in person.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

Regarding the asymmetry, it can occur with eye infection, and no treatment is necessary for that (this is what the ophthalmologists say).

Unfortunately, the treatment is with the eye drops, and there is no treatment to prevent the eye infections.

If the sinus infection does not improve with antibiotics, or if pus is collected in the sinus, then a minor surgical procedure is required, called as antral wash to drain the pus.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM