One breast bigger than the other and there is pain during period. What could this mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello doctor..
i have a little problem in my left breast. Though i cant feel any lump, but it is bigger than the right one. It pains a little during my mensuration. What could be the matter? Please help.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later

Slight variation in the size of the two breasts is a normal physiological variation. Since there is no palpable lump or any nipple discharge, there is nothing to feel worried about.

The mild pain you feel during your periods is a normal finding due to the hormonal changes the body undergoes during this period. Please do not worry.

To be doubly sure, you can go for a routine check up at your primary physician's office and ask for a mammography for screening any possible breast related pathologies.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: One breast bigger than the other and there is pain during period. What could this mean? 3 hours later

In case of nipple discharge, what could be the problem?
Also, as everyone says the right part of body is always heavy. But mine is left.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If there is a nipple discharge then the chances of having a breast pathology are higher.
The right part of muscular build of the body is heavier in right handed people due to muscular hypertrophy. Breast is a glandular tissue. Repeated stimulation of one side of breast will cause hypertrophy of glands of one side. Please do not worry. Mild hypertrophy of left breast as compared to right is a normal finding.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.