On zoloft for post partum anxiety. Getting nausea, headache and dizziness. Safe remedy?

Hi There
I have been on zoloft for Post Partum Anxiety. I have been on just over 5 weeks. To start with the first 2 weeks I was on 25gm, and increased to the 50gm. I had side effect like dizzyness, nause etc at the start which slowed down a bit. I am still feeling spacy, and have headaches. I know it can take time to settle in, would it still be recommended to wait longer to know if it's the right one for me? My anxiety is gone, but the head dizzness is still there. My GP said to wait a couple more weeks (1 week ago) but wanted to see if this is common for this feeling etc, and if people often suffer form these symptoms. I have been on zoloft before a couple of years ago, same dosage, but didnt have any of these affects. I am sure because I have a baby who is 7 weeks old sleep deprevation can add to it. Thanks,
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 42 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. The symptoms you mentioned are common when somebody starts this medication, especially in the first few weeks. As your doctor has mentioned, most part of it will vanish in the first one or two weeks. And as you mentioned sleep deprivation you have at this time, can aggravate it. The medication that you are using is safe in breast feeding. It is a good advantage of it and it is better not to miss this opportunity. Sometimes, people do not respond to a medication and it is a worse problem. When your brain has responded to this medication in the past, it shows that you will gain the positive effects in this time as well. I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: On zoloft for post partum anxiety. Getting nausea, headache and dizziness. Safe remedy? 49 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. Do you think with me having being on it for 5 weeks that it is still normal to have these effects? Do you think because I have been on it in the past with less effects from this, that it will fade or would I try another kind I should try, and and what week would I need to consider changing if these effects are still going?
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 17 hours later
Hi there, I think the symptoms will decrease in the next few weeks. A good way to decrease the side effects of the medication is to divide the dose to two times a day and each time take half of it.