On zoloft for post menopause. Hearing strange noise when standing. Any ideas?

recently noted a strange hearing
sensation upon standing occasionally
after sitting for long periods
i am healthy 58 yo female on zoloft for post menopause
started medi wt loss program
3 mo ago
lost 25 lbs
take phentermine daily with vitamins
hydrating and exercising
8 lbs to goal wt 135lbs
mild pressure feeling in head with hearing
loud and soft very rythmic
last a couple of minutes
weekly bp checks normal
any idea?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 54 minutes later

Based on your history I consider that you are hearing strange noise which is or same quality and intensity.

There are three different possibilities where one can hear such abnormal sounds

1) Tinnitus - it’s a constant low pitched cooing sound heard. This happens due to weakness in the cranial nerve which conducts the sound information to the brain. The cause of this is unknown most of times it can be seen in people with antihypertensive medications, hormonal imbalances etc. Treatment involves consumption of multivitamin supplements.

2) Hissing noise - this noise is heard when air from the middle ear escapes from a perforation in the tympanic membrane. This is a common variety and can be treated by surgically closing the tympanic membrane perforation.

3) Auditory hallucinations - this is an extreme condition where in a person hears noises of different intensity, quality or sometimes meaningful conversations which out any source. This is a psychological problem and has to be dealt by a psychiatrist who can assess the person and determine the psychological cause to treat the same.

I would suggest you to compare your problem with above possibilities explained above and get back to me so that we can have further discussion specifically about the problem in you.

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: On zoloft for post menopause. Hearing strange noise when standing. Any ideas? 1 hour later
just remembered i had popping in my left
ear a month ago when ever i ate or blew
my nose
it went away recently but started again today
no pain or drainage
normal hearing also except for above
problem i earlier described which started
only 2 weeks ago
i also just got an infected gum from gingivits
yesterday on the left upper back tooth area
for which i am starting penicillin
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You can start on Penicilin as planned.

Do consult an ENT specialist who shall examine you and rule out any tympanic membrane perforation. Early treatment will prevent complications like hearing loss.

Wish you god health.