On wysolone. Having contact with chicken pox patient. Never fell ill. What to do?

Use of immunoglobins for varicella in immuno compromised patients, who are on steroids.

My mother is on 40mg wysolone from past 40 days, & for last 3 days she is in contact with a patient having chickenpox. She has never fell ill of chickenpox before. Now, what to do in such a case? Can immunoglobins be useful? If yes, then, how can we administer them?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi Urfriend....,
Welcome to healthcare magic!
Your mother is taking Wosolone 40mg for 40days, which is not a significant immunosuppression. She can get the vaccine of chickenpox, it will prevent her from contacting the ailment of chickenpox and shingles as well.
As far as Immunoglobulins are concerned that is not a good option for prevention of chickenpox and is unreliable.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: On wysolone. Having contact with chicken pox patient. Never fell ill. What to do? 44 hours later
My question was, my mother has already been exposed to chickenpox through my brother, & i asked this question on 4th day, which i have mentioned in my question. You are suggesting of giving vaccine but how can a varicella vaccine help her now?

Plus through some medical literature on internet, I learned that for dosage greater than 20mg per day of wysolone, vaccine should not be given.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 13 hours later
Welcome back.
The dose of Wysolone is not the only factor but more important is the duration, 40days is not an enough long duration to paralyse the immunity.
Immunoglobulin is a poor choice for tow reasons-
You are never sure of it's full protection.
The effect is shortlived around two weeks.
a good option is to get Smallpos antibody serum titres, if the levels are fine then no vaccine/immunoglobulin is necessary.
I hope that answers your query.