On wellbutrin and abilify for depression. Medications have increased the aggression. What is wrong?

I have a 16 year old son who has seen a Psychiatrist and diagnosed with deep depression. He was prescribed, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Vyvanse and abilify. Prior to this, he had agressive outburst, but since the medication, the outburst have gotten much more agressive and the depression has not improved (maybe slightly worse). I need to know if the medication could be the cause or is the Dr. treating Depression when there could be other factors (ie., Bipolar disorder.)
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi, it could be related to hyperactivity or... Detailed Answer: Hi there, thanks for asking. Vyvance and Wellbutrin could increase the aggression in some cases. As you mentioned, there could also be some other factors which are affecting the aggression and his behavior. If the doctor has diagnosed attention deficit hyperactivity, then any medication from the class of alpha 2 agonists (like clonidin, guanfacine, ...) could help for controlling the aggression. If you let the doctor know about his situation after taking the medications and also about our talk, then he can give a medication to control better the situation and also readjust the dose of the medications. I wish him a good health and performance at school.
Follow-up: On wellbutrin and abilify for depression. Medications have increased the aggression. What is wrong? 22 hours later
Are the Alpha 2 Agonist in addition to or in the place of the Vyvanse? Do you Start the new drug while "weaning off" of Vyvanse? What about the Depression? Lexapro and Wellbutrin do not seem to be working. He even told the doctor that he doesn't interact with his friends as much.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 days later
Brief Answer: An alpha 2 agonist can be sufficient for inatten.. Detailed Answer: Hi, sorry for answering late to your response. An Alpha 2 agonist medication could be in place of Vyvance. It could be added while weaning off of vyvance. The dose should be gradually increased (in two to three weeks), in order to avoid the side effects. If they are not working, the dose should be checked again with his doctor. Eventually, his doctor will decide on it, and there is a proverb that says: I am wise enough to do one thing at each step for you. Let his doctor to do the first step, then decide on how to manage depression.