On warfrin. Taking Exalgo for spinal strenuous. Considering Marijuwana for relief. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
HELLO! I AM ON WARFRIN. I ALSO HAVE BEEN TAKING EXALGO FOR SEVERE SPINAL STENOUSUS. I WILL BE WITHOUT THE EXALGO UNTIL MONDAY. NOT A PLEASANT THOUGHT. I AM CONSIDERING USING MARIJUWANA FOR SOME RELIEF. I DO NOT WANT TO DO ANYTHING XXXXXXX THOUGH. I AM NOT A CHILD LOOKING FOR A HIGH. I AM 65 AND IN A GREAT DEAL OF PAIN AT THE MOMENT. THANKS
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medical marijauna should be considered last

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

In as much as medical marijuana could be a good option for managing pain, it should be considered as the last option because of its numerous secondary effects. In the USA, about 20 states and some few countries have approved the use of medical marijuana for management of pain.
In my opinion, that should be the last alternative. There are numerous medications that are good for pain management and comes with less addictive or withdrawal side effects. Unless you tell me you have tried all of them or you are not willing to consider other options besides marijuana, then I will understand but then you will need to find a doctor that will be willing to skip all the other pain relief alternatives and prescribe directly marijuana. First, your state need to be amongst those approved before that becomes an option for you.
I suggest you talk with your doctor regarding drugs that you can take to relief pain and if marijuana is the last alternative, then you will have to go in for it.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah