On warfarin. Suggested half dose. Noticed spotting after intercourse. Do I need to see a doctor?

I am on 4mg/day warfarin since a massive saddle PE in February. INR tested Sunday, was 3.9 (slightly elevated). Doctor suggested i take a half dose ( 2 mg) on Wednesday night, which i did.

Tonight, after intercourse with my husband, i began spotting bright red blood from my vagina -- very minimal amounts, only visible on toilet tissue after wiping, but not stopping. Do i need to go to the ER? Or can i just call my doctor tomorrow?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to go to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ma'am,

Good Day to you.

I can fully appreciate the pain and agony that you are passing through.

The effect of warfarin lasts for more than 48 hours. Hence, the INR will come down in 2-3 days' time with reduced dose.

Since you have a minimal bleed, there is no reason to be overtly concerned. The bleeding will stop eventually.

I suggest that you take Warfarin 2mg/day for another 2 days. Repeat INR on day 3. If the report is between 2 - 2.5, you may consult your doctor who will adjust the dose.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal