On warafin with fibroid bleeding. Have blood clot in lung. Can I take iron supplement?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Left hospital w blood clot in lung/leg from ankle injury/surgery on tuesday. Told Dr in hospital i was concerned w being on warafin with fibroid bleeding. He told me to ask my regular MD. I did and she says to go to the emergency room! I've been bleeding and documenting the flow and amount of tampons-when do I go to the ER? when should i be concerned? is there a way to stop the bleeding from fibroids while on warafin? i keep asking and the physicians keep dodging the question! can i take iron supplements to help w the bleeding?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
I understand your concerns. The most important thing is toprevent venous thrombosis and its serious consequances despite warfarins negative effects.
Warfarin dose can be regulated by controling prothrombine time. In you case I would keep PT at higher levels then usual. You should definitely take iron supplements for prevention. You should measure hemoglobin level and prothrombine time after every excessive bleeding. If Hgb less than 100 it can be alarming,and if less than 80 it can be indication for blood transfusion.
I suggest to visit doctors if soaking 3 pads or tampons per hour for 2 or more hours. Such bleeding usually looks more serious than it is,but you must always be cautious abou this.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help