On walfarin. Getting continuous wind, abdominal pain and frequent stools. What's wrong?

Critical Care Specialist
I'm on 7 pt 5 mg of walfarin daily but last few days my stomach hurts and continious wind and feel need to go toilet all day long
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to Health care Magic.

From what I understand you are taking 7.5mg of warfarin daily and from last few days you have complaints of continuous wind, abdominal pain and frequent stools.

However it is not very clear what you are looking from us. I presume you want to know either about the side effects of warfarin or if the symptoms are related. I shall proceed to address both these here:

1. Yes, warfarin does produce symptoms like, nausea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, gas problem and diarrhea. However if the symptoms are recent other causes such as intestinal infections need to be ruled out. Therefore consulting your doctor and getting stool test is advisable.

2. Other side effects of warfarin are black stool or bleeding from rectum; skin condition, such as hives, a rash or itching; swelling of face, throat, mouth, legs or feet; bruising that comes without an injury you remember; chest pain or pressure; nausea; vomiting; diarrhea; etc.

Abdominal bloating and gas, feeling of cold, fatigue, pale skin; changes in way food taste and hair issues are less common side effects associated with warfarin.

Discuss your problem with the doctor, as your planning cardioversion next week (for which warfarin is necessary) and you can plan a rationale treatment to benefit you.

Hope I answered your question. If you had other concerns, feel free to write back...