On vicodin. Back started hurting. Can I get in trouble even though it is legally prescribed medicine?

Hi. I had a year and a half old vicodin script from my doctor. I hurt my back and still had
Some left. I took the rest till I could get in to see him. I had a random drug test at work. I told my dr I took them. Can I get in trouble at work even though it was a legally prescribed med?
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Taking one or two doses of vicodin may not cause a detectable blood levels. Since you have mentioned it to the physician, there is no need to worry.
This will not create any problem for you. In case some drug levels are detected then a repeat sample is usually taken to confirm it.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: On vicodin. Back started hurting. Can I get in trouble even though it is legally prescribed medicine? 23 minutes later
I took several doses over a 4-5 day period before my dr appointment, including the night before my random test. I didn't realize how old the script was till I started wondering if I did something wrong. My dr did note it in my chart and asking I stop to try a different method of treatment. Last time I was prescribed it, I was tested and it did show up. I'm sure it will show, but you think since it was prescribed to me and I made my dr aware of it that there should still be no issues?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If you have taken it for 4-5 days, then it will show up in the test. But since you have the prescription, even if it is an old one, there is no need to worry. The doctor will understand.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.