On valium for partial epilepsy. Suggest some alternate medicine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
im curently on valium i been taking it for partial epilepsy for almost 3 months and i would like to know how to correctly switch over to klonopin all my prescriptions are from mexico and i lost the directions on how to take it i need help
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
You have partial epilepsy and you are on valium (diazepam). You wish to switch it over to klonopin (clonazepam) First of all, neither valium nor klonopin are the recommended drugs for partial epilepsy. The best drug for partial epilepsy is trileptal (oxcarbazepine). Other recommended drugs for partial epilepsy include tegrital, keppra, etc.
So, if you have partial epilepsy, I would suggest you start trileptal. The recommended dose is 10-20 mg/kg body weight.
Valium dose should be gradually decreased and stopped, as sudden stoppage may lead to undesirable adverse effects, including seizures.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any additional queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: On valium for partial epilepsy. Suggest some alternate medicine? 1 hour later
i seen a neurologist here in the united states and when through kepprA AND lamictal after i took em the first 2 weeks i handled the awfull side effect until the third week of treatment my seizure activity increased soi wen to a specialist in mexico and he started me on diazepam and it works just that after 5 hours i start feeling the same as before i guessdo toits short life so i told my doctor and he gave me a clonazepam pescription and i got the just that i dont know how to use them and im still taking diazepam 1/4 in the morning and another at night for almost 4 months

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you for writing back with more details.
Diazepam can be gradually tapered over the next few weeks. Can you let me know the dose of valium (in mg), which you are taking now?
Regarding clonazepam, the usual starting dose is 0.5 mg once daily taken at night. Depending on the efficacy and side effects, the dose can be increased to 1-2 mg per day (usually).
Best wishes,

Follow-up: On valium for partial epilepsy. Suggest some alternate medicine? 14 hours later
its a 5mg pill i take 1/4 of the pill at 8am and 1/4 at 8pm it works i can say im about 80% seizure free sometimes i feel like my blood pressure goes around 4pm i hope i can get any infoabout this

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back with the details.
You are already on low doses of valium. So, it should be relatively easy to stop it. For now, you can start skipping the morning dose on alternate days (while continuing the night dose). This can go on for two weeks. After two weeks, stop the morning dose completely. Then, you should start skipping the night dose on alternate nights for two weeks. Then, you can stop the night dose also. Thus, in about six weeks, you would be off valium.
You can start clonazepam at a dose of 0.5 mg once daily at night. After 2-3 weeks, if required, you can make it 0.5 mg twice daily.
Please verify these instructions with your treating doctor, as these are prescription drugs.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurologist) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: On valium for partial epilepsy. Suggest some alternate medicine? 3 minutes later
thank you thats how he had explained it to me just that i live in XXXXXXX and my specialist is in mexico since consoults are cheaper out there and i had lost my follow up on how to taper of the valium so i could get on clonazepam

Thank you,
Wishing you good health,

Follow-up: On valium for partial epilepsy. Suggest some alternate medicine? 16 hours later
same goes to you

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later