On treatment for pcos and hormonal problems. Found protein and blood in urine. Underlying cause?

Sep 2012

The query is about my daughter aged 20 years. She is having problems with her health since long ranging from allergies , anaemia etc to menstrual problems. Currently she is on treatment for poly cystic ovaries and hormonal problems.
Otherwise too, she is suffering from poor health though her food habits are pretty good and she does not eat junk food or consume beverages like coke etc.
Recently I got a complete health checkup done for her by SRL Ranbaxy. The findings there suggest the presence of proteins and blood in her urine.
I am enclosing her latest blood test report and also her earlier reports. I would like to know the course of action that needs to be followed.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 43 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, after going through the reports, I have found some discrepancies. I am discussing them one by one.

In the previous report, the eosinophil in blood was mildly elevated. It may be due to the allergic reactions.

Isolated increase in RDW. But it is not at all a problem.

Urine examination shows increased number of pus cells, epithelial cells and RBCs. All these indicates presence of Triglyceride and VLDL are mildly elevated. She should avoid foods containing high amount of unsaturated fatty acids.

So, right now, the most important is urinary tract infection. She has to take a broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin. She has to take plenty of water. If fever comes, give her paracetamol tablet. If she experience any pain in abdomen, she has to take antispasmodic drugs.

For poor health, diet is very important. A balanced nutritious diet is very helpful. Some protein supplements can also be considered.

For the other problems, she should continue the medications as she is taking right now. Keep following up with her treating doctor.

For detailed prescription of antibiotics and other medicines I have mentioned regarding the urinary tract infection, you should consult with your treating doctor.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: On treatment for pcos and hormonal problems. Found protein and blood in urine. Underlying cause? 22 minutes later
Dr Arindam

Thanks for the quick reply.

My worry is mostly about the presence of protein and blood in urine. What does that indicate?

Should I be consulting a specialist ? If yes, which speciality?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 29 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, i have already told you that the abnormalities present in her urine, indicates presence of antibiotic is enough. For this, you can consult with her treating doctor or a general physician first.

If you want to consult a specialist, you have to consult with urologist.

But, i think, right now, you do not have to consult with a specialist. Consult with a general physician first for clinical examination and prescribing antibiotic.

Then repeat the urine examination after completion of antibiotic. If that indicates persistence of the disease, you should consult with specialist.

Hope you have your answers.