On treatment for Inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Had TIA in the past. Bouts of palpitations, chest pain. Symptoms related to IST?

For the past 3 weeks I have been having bouts of palpatations that have been so intense that I have felt them in my chest back and abdomen(around my tummy button) I am on treatment for Inappropriate sinus tachycardia and have had a TIA 2 years ago. My last bout of palpatations was on Thursday lasting 5 hours and started to get chest pain and felt slightly light headed. Is this all linked in to the IST or should I see my GP ? Don't want to go if it is going to waste their time or mine! Many thanks
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 10 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I am a cardiologist and read your description with diligence.

I did not find that I wasted my time with any patient. Only when it was well investigated and confirmed as anxiety related sinus tachycardia, I would have 'probably' thought you are wasting time of doctor by visiting him/her. However, your tachycardia has been diagnosed as inappropriate, it might have been precursor of atrial fibrillation.

For that is what which is more commonly associated with Transient Ischemic Attack which you suffered from 2 years ago.

This is a new tachycardia in you (all varieties of tachycardia produce palpitation; it is EKG and Holter which reveal their true nature).

I am not sure after Transient Ischemic Attack, were you put on blood thinners?

This time you have additional symptoms with chest pain and light-headedness; Yes, I think both are linked to it. That is one of the few cogent reasons you ought to visit your doctor. I assure you, your doctor will not consider it 'waste of anybody's time'. If hospital OPD is not open yet, please do not hesitate to visit Emergency Room, these are the precise reasons they are there.

Hope this is clear. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover