On testosterone replacement due to low LH and FSH. Can I stop it as now it is normal?

Hi, I'm on testosterone replacement (max dose of Testim - 2 tubes gel each day). Originally, it was due to low LH and FSH. Some recent lab work revealed the testosterone replacement is effective. However, the LH and FSH are very low. I'm guessing that it should be low due to the feedback loop, since the testosterone is within the normal range.

Are there any other functions of LH and FSH besides testosterone stimulation?

LH <0.2 (1.7-8.6) mIU/mL
FSH <0.2 (1.5-12.4) mIU/mL
Testosterone 712 (348-1197) ng/dL
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Luteinizing hormone (LH) and Follicule stimulating hormone (FSH) as you clearly understand are vital for synthesis and secretion of testosterone. Other than this , they are very important in the process of formation of sperm cells called spermatozoa. They are vital in the process of stimulation the formation of these sperm cells from their mother cells, especially FSH and Luteinizing hormone is vital in the process of effective maturation of the final spermatozoa. The role of testosterone in the process at all levels is very very important too.

I am happy you master the physiology of the functioning of the hormones. Its simply because of a negative feedback mechanism, because extraneous testosterone is being used, the body recognizes it as high and respects a negative feed back mechanism and maintains LH and FSH below lower limit.

Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.