On tegrital. Suffered seizure. Need to postpone periods by week. Can I use contraceptive pills?

Mar 2016

hi, im a 23 year old woman. I am on tegrital 200 mg twice a day from the XXXXXXX one year after i suffered a seizure. I need to postpone my period by a week. Can i use contraceptive pills for that? i Still have 15 days time for my period.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take Norethisterone Tab to Postpone Period.

Detailed Answer:

Tegretol contains carbamazepine which is used to treat seizure or convulsion in most of the patients.

Contraceptive pill is not so useful to postpone your period from middle of the cycle. You may get irregular bleeding or spotting due to hormonal imbalance after that. I personally would not recommended this approach.

Alternatively, you can postpone or delay your period by taking progesterone pill like norethisterone etc. It is to be taken 3 days prior to actual due date and continued as long as you want (possibly 1 week). This is quite safe and reliable in comparison to previous method. Kindly, procure a prescription from your doctor.

Hope, it will be helpful for you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: On tegrital. Suffered seizure. Need to postpone periods by week. Can I use contraceptive pills? 9 hours later
Are there any side effects of norethisterone?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very common & tolerable side effects.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

All hormonal medications (including norethisterone) have some common side effects which are mostly tolerable. These are nausea, abdominal cramp, spotting, breast tenderness, headache, weight gain, hair loss, change in appetite etc. However, these are exclusively seen in long term or first time pill user women.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: On tegrital. Suffered seizure. Need to postpone periods by week. Can I use contraceptive pills? 2 hours later
one last query, Are injectible contraceptives safe for me?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not useful for delaying period.

Detailed Answer:

Injectable contraceptive is not useful to postpone or delay period. Progesterone pill is more effective in that case. It is more reliable and safe.

Oral contraceptive pill has high failure rate in prevention of unwanted pregnancy while you are taking anti-convulsant drugs (like carbamazepine, phenytoin etc) or under treatment of seizure.

In such case, we prefer injectable contraceptive like depo shot (failure rate 0.3%) which is quite effective. However, it has also few side effects. Kindly, consult with your doctor for proper prescription.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. I will be available for your additional queries.

Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW