On tamoxifen for breast cancer. Going through menopause and had unprotected sex. Could I be pregnant?

hi, I am on tamoxifen for breast cancer now 3 years down the line. Was advised by Doctor that I was either going through menopause or completed due to blood tests. All going well but accidently got carried away with unprotected sex the other day. No periods for over a year. Silly I know but could there be a chance I could get caught pregnant . I will be 50 in January.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries for now

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The chances of falling pregnant at 49 are extremely very slim and it very almost not very probable. It would be interesting to know if you have any breast tenderness, nausea or increase in abdominal size. Absence of these symptoms render the possibility of a pregnancy almost very improbable.

It is however reasonable to carry out a good blood pregnancy test to be sure. Doing an ultrasound to know the state of the uterus, ovaries and neighboring structures could be interesting.

I suggest you consult your primary care doctor for a pregnancy test and an ultrasound. Though the chances of a pregnancy are very very low. These tests shall aid in identifying other causes absence of bleeding out of pregnancy.

Feeling tired, fluctuating fever and cold sensations could be suggestive of onset of menopause.

Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have specific concerns.